Kritinia

Perched on a hill 55 km from the island’s capital is the village of Kritinia, whose houses literally hang from the side of the slopes. It offers panoramic views of the sea and a Venetian castle of the same name, which has become a major tourist attraction. Also known as Kastello, the fortress is built on top of a rocky outcrop and was unsuccessfully besieged by the Ottomans in 1480. The castle is well preserved with the coat of arms of the Grand Masters of the Knights of Saint John, d’Amboise (1503-1512) and Orsini (1467-1476), still visible at the entrance. Among other attractions is the church of Agios Ioannis (Saint John) where there are frescoes dating from the 16th century.


Similar Posts